grandis in malaysia

this subforum is accessible without login
a forum member

grandis in malaysia

Postby a forum member » Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:27 am

hi mfhoekstra,
i'm afraid that there is little empirical info on diet in the wild. the only literature i have - turtles of borneo, by limbooliat/indranei das states " they eat figs.."? but ipomea aquatica is correct. this plant is often found wild, also cultivated, the wild varient often grows on land and then "creeps" onto the water surface, it's a technique to get more sun area.
i feed my grandis with ipomea battatas sp? this is the sweet potato plant, itis also a creeper and grows fast and spreads well. i find i cannot grow enough Kangkung, the turts (4malayanbox/ 1 grandis) really seem to prefer it and demolish any they find.
the turts are being kept in an outdoor yard, about 15ftX25ft, and have their own pond. i hope this brings out some natural behaviour. so far, the turts are active early in the am and will actively leave the pond to graze in the cool of the am, by 10am, the sun's very strong, and they are back in the pond until 6pm, when they come out again, however, they get back into the water by about 10pm, that when i check up on them again, i supplement diet with cabbage, kangkung from the mkt, kitchen discards and occasionally with small fish i get from the wet mkt. i have observed that the malayan box is a voracious eater of carrion.

(loong2001my)

a forum member

grandis in malaysia

Postby a forum member » Fri Aug 10, 2001 12:40 am

hi again,

average temps will vary from location, where i live, in kl, temps are as follows:
Ave yr highs- 30-34/ aveyrlows-21-24degreesC.
but is this representative? kl is an urban heat trap, so i expect temps to be high, however, i have experienced nights in thick forests where nights are 18C! so the difference is about 50%<

this is mere conjecture, but my experience is that areas with large water surfaces are very hot in the day, however, the surrounding forests are cool, esp at nite. so daytime open water
airtemps can be 30-34C, water temp will still be 27-29 (still water, running water will vary vastly, from 24-26C, nite airtemps about 22-28C.

at what temps do u keep yr grandis?

(loong2001my)

mike
advanced member

grandis in malaysia

Postby mike » Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:14 pm

Hallo!
Welcome to the new members. Very interisting to reed about the circumstands in Malaysia from the new member loong2001myke. A question for wslhawfinch in china: What are the latin names for black-breast-leaf-turtle and yellow pond turtle? The language we spaek in our country is german, and so there are many different english or german names for one turtle, but only one latin name for the same turtle all over the world.
Some messages before are Questions to the temperatures for a Heosemys grandis enclosure. I habe in Winter(Oktober to April in my glashouse 20-22 degrees in night and 25-35 degrees at day. In summer (may-september) between 18 in night and up to 40 at day. The H. grandis looks for themselfs to a place with a temperatur they like.There are places with different temperatures in my enclosure also in water and on land.
It is right, that it tooks to long for answers in "our" Heosemys club!To all members - please write more messages!!!
yours sincerely
cichlamike

Return to “general Heosemys grandis discussions”