First grandis

this subforum is accessible without login
a forum member

First grandis

Postby a forum member » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:44 pm

I just purchased my first grandis. It is a 2 3/4"(7 cm.) CH. baby. I would appreciate any info on setup, diet, water temp., etc. It seems to like almost any food with a preference toward carnivore. Will they eat romaine lettuce?

Thanks,
Tom

a forum member

First grandis

Postby a forum member » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:37 am

I joined the group 3 days ago, posted a message and have seen no responses. Hopefully this isn't the norm. Now I'll try a different question. Without oversimplifying does this sound right for grandis. As juveniles they are aquatic carnivores. As semi-adults they are semi-aquatic, semi-terrestrial omnivores. And as adults they are terrestrial herbivores. Please tell me if this is right or wrong.

Thanks for any advice,
Tom

a forum member

First grandis

Postby a forum member » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:14 am

I have such butterfingers, Sorry for the double message. Anyway, we have all three age groups and all three ages accept greens, fruits and meat products. All three have access to both land and water and, in fact, the largest males use the water the most (they are separated due to aggression so they are not keeping out the smaller ones). We do separate by size because of aggression issues.

Hope that helps,
Susan

a forum member

First grandis

Postby a forum member » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:41 am

Susan,
Thanks for the info. Do you think my 7 cm. hatchling should be fed in the water or on land? So far I have fed him strictly in water. Also what kind of fruits or veggies do they prefer?

Thanks,
Tom

a forum member

grandis

Postby a forum member » Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:16 am

Tom,

I feed my sub-adults in water. They love peaches and necturines. It's apple season and you can give mine a whole apple and be returned with seeds in a few days.

Charlie
Charles M. Sikorski, Jr., CPA
Sergeant-in-Arms, Southern New England Herpetological Association
http://www.herper.com/sneha

a forum member

First grandis

Postby a forum member » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:34 pm

Tom,

I also include strawberries, canteloupe and bananas. I try to offer a balanced diet that includes these but also a lot of greens. Sometimes they will take trout chow too and earthworms for balance. I think they will eat almost anything so I just watch the nutritional balance as best I can.

Take care,
Susan

a forum member

First grandis

Postby a forum member » Sun Oct 13, 2002 1:25 am

Tom, Susan and all,

Yes, mine eat trout chow and muzuri aquatic turtle food also. They almost beg for it!

Charlie

Return to “general Heosemys grandis discussions”