how long can one live

this subforum is accessible without login
a forum member

how long can one live

Postby a forum member » Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:23 am

My Giant asian wood turtle is twenty years old and about twenty inchs long where I got her said she is a female. I don't now a hole lot about her. but having trouble getting her to eat. can some one out there help with information. oh her name is Daize May yes it is spelled odd.But I like the spelling. bought her at a pet store they didn't now what she was tell are turtle club up her in washington told them. the turtle club says I am doing everything right but she won't eat please give me some advise. she can really use some help out there.
Linda

a forum member

how long can one live

Postby a forum member » Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:18 am

Linda,

Sorry for your trouble. How long have you had her and how long has she not been eating? First, try overripe canteloupe and strawberries and bananas. Try moving earthworms that she can see and, if worse comes to worse, stinky cat food (but this should never be a staple). Next get her to a qualified reptile vet. Where are you located? You can also contact the reptile vet
association to get a recommendation. How warm are you keeping her and on what substrate? These could also affect her eating. Is she kept with any other animals? Again, this could be an issue. Good luck.

Susan

a forum member

how long have I had her

Postby a forum member » Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:02 am

I have had her for about 1 1/2 months now. she lives in my green house we have a heater in there for her. we keep it about 70 to 75 degrees for her. she is in a horse tube it is a big one. she all so has a cat box we fill with water for her.we uses shaving for her beding it is not ceder or treated shaving because I now thats not good for her. We all so feed her Ramon lettuce and califour,zucchini carrots, tomatoes, cantalope, sweet potatoes and strawberries. When she was in my garden I would put food out for her but it looked like she didn't eat it but there was a lot of stuff out ther for her. we brought her in at night time so she would not get cold. some times it looks like she is eating because there is food in the water. I now she loves the water a lot. She dose not have a runny nose or any thing. she all ways looks up at us when we go in there and talk to her. when I ask my vet about her he said she seems to be ok. he is a vet for exotic pet. he nows all a bout turtles and tortoises I took my tortoise to him just a little while back. no they are not in the same area. I thought he was sick because his buddy died on us but the vet said he is ok. said his buddy died from choking on rabbit pellet. something you would not think of happening. I ask the vet about Daize May and he said she problelystarting to hibernate. well better go.
thanks. will try earth worms on her.
linda

a forum member

how long can one live

Postby a forum member » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:25 am

Linda,

Wow, she is a big one! My male is 12 inches and I have smaller females. Mine love to eat in the water! Mine eat peaches and apples and greens. They relish trout chow and muzuri aquatic turtle food in the water.

Charlie

a forum member

Daize May eating

Postby a forum member » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:46 am

thank everybody she is starting to eat she thinks she will eat red and orange stuff. I did what each of you guys said. I started with some in a sink of water she started eating there first then took her out and she really chowed down. can't get her to eat ramon lettuce but loves fruit and tomatoes and carrots a real lot. I mite try puting lettuce in her cantalope and see if she will eat it. I brought her in the house to feed her. I put her in a cantainer on the floor so she can see her food. it worked thanks. still have to now how long they can live anybody now?
thanks again.
Linda an Daize May

Return to “general Heosemys grandis discussions”