Rearing babies...?

this subforum is accessible without login
Mawhootie
expert member

Rearing babies...?

Postby Mawhootie » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:00 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here could offer some husbandry advice/insight regarding the care of hatchling H. grandis???

TIA

a forum member

Rearing babies...?

Postby a forum member » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:21 am

I have a 4 inch grandis as well as some sub-adults. I keep mine with a water dish and on cypress mulch. He is dog tame and begs for food! He eats trout chow in water and dry on land. Also eats fruits and superworms.

Charlie

Mawhootie
expert member

Rearing babies...?

Postby Mawhootie » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:34 am

CHARLIE!!!
Thank you for your reply!!! I have hatchlings and I'm trying to decide if I should keep them in water or a semi-terrestrial set up with a significant portion dedicated to land.... I'm turning in for the night, however, I'd like to continue a discussion tomorrow. Could you offer some more specific details about your technique(s)? I currently have my crew in mason's tubs and about an half inch of water. No filter just lots o' water changes and a steady diet of various
pellets and Reptomin sticks. Thanks again for your email!!!
Cord

a forum member

Rearing babies...?

Postby a forum member » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:49 am

Cord,

When a first got 'baby grandis" (my three year old named him) I had him in a water setup with a land area. I decided that because of his size that he is less likely to eat the substrate, I put him on the mulch and use a water bowl, a lot easier to clean!!

I keep my sub-adults in an aquatic setup and have to clean it after every feeding!!!

Charlie
Charles M. Sikorski, Jr., CPA
Treasurer, Southern New England Herpetological Association
http://www.herper.com/sneha
Trustee, Asian Turtle Consortium

Marnix Hoekstra
Site Admin

Rearing babies...?

Postby Marnix Hoekstra » Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:23 am

Hello Cord,
They definitely need a semi-terrestrial setup; they need to be able to swim as well as walk and bask in the sun. I got my 'baby-grands' as hatchlings and kept them with sub-adult red-eared sliders in an aquarium with floating cork islands. I fed both species with a diet consisting mainly of JBL turtle food supplemented with chicken, mealworms, insects and a variety of fruits and vegetables.

I searched the library for information on baby grand care. One of the very few things I found was a detailed record by J.Langmann of his hatchlings' size and weight after 1,2,3 & 12 months. Since these hatchlings have succesfully reproduced themselves a few years later, this is a reliable indication of their normal development. So here it is:

age weight length width height
1 month 44g 62mm 49mm 29mm
2 months 94g 86mm 69mm 36mm
3 months 144g 100mm 82mm 41mm
12 months 550g 152mm 123mm 62mm

I hope this helps,
Marnix

Mawhootie
expert member

Rearing babies...?

Postby Mawhootie » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:17 am

Marnix, Ray,

Thanks again for the input!!! Here's what I'm thinkin' of doing. I was going to set them up in cement-mixing tubs with dirt (sand/peat moss/top soil) and put large paint roller pans in there for them to haul in and out of. Ray, is this kind of what you were talking about for your juvenile?? Right now the weather is balmy (Day=80's-90's & Nights=70's) and I keep all my turtles in a covered car port outside...out of the mid-day sun. I don't use supplemental heating or lighting this time of year. I currently offer the baby "grands" Mazuri Aquatic turtle chow or Mazuri Tortoise chow or Reptomin sticks. Other occasional food items include bananas, peaches, apples, cantaloupe (sp?), other melon. They have shown NO interest in "greens" (collards, mustard, bok choy, etc., etc.). I have gotten them to eat some greens by chopping it up and mixing it with there other foods. twice a month I supplement all my turtles chow with Miner-all vitamin supplement. I have not tried live foods (e.g. crickets or worms).

So far everybody is eating and its too soon to tell if they're growing, but I'll keep ya' posted. Do you (Or others) keep your guys outside part of the year? And, if so, when you move them indoors for other parts of the year how is your housing modified? How tolerant of cool temperatures have you found your captives to be? (i.e. When do you move your turtles inside?) What other food items have you found to be acceptable? Are there others on the list that have an opinion on rearing babies? I looked at old threads and didn't see many posts about indoor captive husbandry. I'm hoping its 'cause husbandry is pretty straight forward, however, I know there's always "more than one way to skin a cat"!!! <GRIN>

Cheers,
Cord

Return to “general Heosemys grandis discussions”