feeding behaviour

this subforum is accessible without login
Marnix Hoekstra
Site Admin

feeding behaviour

Postby Marnix Hoekstra » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:50 am

Hi all,

I conducted a small feeding experiment with my turtles: I gave them an unpeeled banana and watched how they would eat it. They took a few bites, peeled the banana and ate the skin. Only after eating the whole skin, did they eat the rest. I was quite surprised.
Some pictures:
Does anyone have an idea why they eat the skin first? Or why they eat the skin at all? I never thought of it as being edible or nutritious. (By the way, I won't repeat this because bananas are sprayed with pesticides. I washed the banana first, but I don't think you can wash it all off.)

Regards,
Marnix

mike
advanced member

feeding behaviour

Postby mike » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:31 am

Hello Marnix!

My H.grandis eat the hole bananas sometimes too. I wait a long time (some weeks)before feeding, so that the bananas are dark brown and most of the chemicals are away. Then I cut the top and the end away. The rest I feed them.

But they bite into the banana and when the fruitpulp came outside, they eat it at first. My turtles eat on brown underground, so they can see the white fruitpulp very good. They love sweet fruits.

In your Aquarium there is a white ground, so they see the brown/green parts of the banana better then the white fruitpulp.

Possibly the turtles know, if they need some hardy things in there diet.

Sometimes they know that they need calcium and they eat stones with calcium.
My H.grandis eat some years ago in first time hay, which is in my glasshouse for the Geochelone sulcata for the winter diet. I was astonished too, because they eat only fruits, vegetables and all greens from madow before.

I am terribly sorry for my bad english.

Best regards

Michael

Marnix Hoekstra
Site Admin

feeding behaviour

Postby Marnix Hoekstra » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:07 am

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your thoughts. Are you sure the chemicals disintegrate after a while?
Since bananas are abundant in the natural habitat of H.grandis, they should instinctively know what to do with them. So if they like banana skin it must be a good food source. I'll give them more banana skins, if I can just be sure that it's safe to eat them.
I am terribly sorry for my bad english.

I am sorry for my bad English too. It should be noted that most people on this list are not native English speakers.

Regards,
Marnix

Return to “general Heosemys grandis discussions”