Collecting information

this subforum is accessible without login
a forum member

Collecting information

Postby a forum member » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:09 pm

Hello everybody,
I study at the Charles University and Prague Zoo and I write dissertation on the topic of Heosemys grandis. I would highly appreciate if you could share your experience with breeding these turtles, especially information about their reproduction (clutch size, incubation temperature, sex ratio in hatchlings etc.).
Thank you all for help. Regards, Sylvie Gaarová

Marnix Hoekstra
Site Admin

Collecting information

Postby Marnix Hoekstra » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:40 am

Hello Sylvie Gaarová,

That is very interesting. Could you tell us more about your research? Are you focusing on reproduction?
You probably found my web pages with the bibliography and the list of zoos, but just to be sure:
http://www.heosemys.org/locations.php
http://www.heosemys.org/bibliography.php
I can send you photocopies of some of these articles.
As far as I know, Peter Paul van Dijk is the only person who has published on the reproduction of a wild grandis, in a small section of his PhD thesis. (He is a member of this list.)
I would be very interested to obtain a copy of your thesis when it is ready.

With kind regards,
Marnix Hoekstra

a forum member

Collecting information

Postby a forum member » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:20 am

Hi Marnix,
thanks for your offer. Could you send the photocopy by e-mail?

So far I'm taking general ethological observations on 12 specimens kept in Prague Zoo; topic of my dissertation is BIOLOGY OF HEOSEMYS GRANDIS, so I'm trying to find as much information as I can about anything relating to this species. Personally I'm most interested in reproduction and postnatal development, hoping in successfull breeding this year, so I started my searching with topic of reproduction. I'd be grateful to anyone who could help.

Regards, Sylvie

Marnix Hoekstra
Site Admin

Collecting information

Postby Marnix Hoekstra » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:03 am

Hi Sylvie,

That sounds great. You may well be a pioneer in ethological observations of Heosemys grandis.
Over the years I have collected a number of articles. Let me know which ones you want copies of. I can scan articles page by page and send them by e-mail, but sending photocopies by snail-mail is more practical for me.
Here is an abstract of a presentation by Mike Goode on the reproduction of H.g., with detailed measurements of eggs:
http://nytts.org/proceedings/posters.htm#goode2
(Just added it to the bibliography)
Some people on this list have bred them successfully and published about it. I hope they'll come forward and share their experiences with you.

With kind regards,
Marnix

Return to “general Heosemys grandis discussions”