Grandis enclosure ?

this subforum is accessible without login
BambooTurtle

Grandis enclosure ?

Postby BambooTurtle » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:04 am

Do most of you guys keep them aquatic or semi aquatic or can they be kept on bark with one or two large pans of water ? Mine seem to bury when I put them on bark . But then they maybe wanting to brumate with the temps at 55 - 60 F ? So I was thinking of bring them indoors for a few months till spring , can i keep them on bark much like a North American Wood turtle or North American Box turtles ?

uzairi
advanced member

Grandis enclosure ?

Postby uzairi » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:11 am

I put them in a grassy area with a big plastic bowl of water for them to drink or soak.

Peter Paul
expert member

Grandis enclosure ?

Postby Peter Paul » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:03 am

Hi All,

**I would NOT expose grandis to 55F / 12 Celsius for more than a few hours.**

Environmental stress during the cool / dry season in natural range can drop to that temperature at dawn, but air temp will climb back to over 80 by mid-morning, and animals will hide from drought / cold stress in remaining waterholes or deeply buried in root tangles / brushpiles etc, where temp is unlikely to drop below 70F for any length of time.

Treat the animals like you would treat a Rhinoclemmys, NOT like a Wood turtle or Terrapene. SE Asia is not quite like West Virginia....

Hope this helps.
Peter Paul

Galbie

Grandis enclosure ?

Postby Galbie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:30 am

I agree. We are quite warm in SE Asia and Indonesia so temperature seldom get to 55/60F.
I keep my pair indoor in Winter at 28C and they seem very happy.

Going down to 55/60F may lead to weaken immunity and illness. I would not take that risk!

Gui Zeen Yan.

Return to “general Heosemys grandis discussions”